|1940 U.S. Census for Rosie Salas and her mother Victoria. Courtesy of Ancestry.com.|
Yesterday, I stated that the May 2013 discovery of the marriage records for my grandmother Rosie Salas and my grandfather Benjamin Robledo (1919-1990) was the first brickwall I overcame in the 15 years I have been trying to find information about my lost grandmother’s birthplace and family.
I was wrong.
In going back through my research records for Rosie after I published that post, I realized that I had actually discovered the 1940 and 1930 U.S. Census records for Rosie almost a year prior in July 2012, and had even saved those records. But those census records were just hunches, because I had absolutely no other information to corroborate against the biographical and family data provided about Rosie on those two censuses. I had been blindly searching for any Rosie (or Rosa or Rose) Salas born in Arizona since her Arizona birth was the only biographical information Rosie passed down to my father.
The marriage record was the first source I found that confirmed the information I had found in those two census records. My hunch had been right. This appears to be the same Rosie Salas, at about the same age, with a mother named Victoria Jimenez.
According to the 1940 U.S. Census (taken 3 April 1940):
- The family lived on rural Highway 99 in Coachella (Riverside County), California.
- Rosie (Rosa) was 15 years old, single, attending school (8th grade the highest grade completed), and not working. She was reportedly born in Arizona.
- Her mother Victoria Jimenez was the head of household, 48 years old, widowed, had completed up to the 5th grade, was not working, and had no income. She was reportedly born in New Mexico.
- A Richard Coleman is listed as Victoria’s son, meaning Rosie’s brother. He was 29 years old, single, had completed up to the 7th grade, and was unemployed for 2 weeks looking for work as a farm laborer. He was reportedly born in New Mexico.
- A David Coleman is also listed as Victoria’s son, meaning Rosie’s brother. He was 25 years old, single, had completed up to the 6th grade, and was employed as a farm laborer. He was reportedly born in New Mexico.
- The entire household lived in Phoenix, Arizona on 01 April 1935, but not on a farm.